A federal judge in Texas has blocked the Obama administration’s directive to public schools that transgender students must be allowed to use the bathrooms and locker rooms coinciding with their chosen gender identity rather than their biological sex.
U.S. District Judge Reed O’Connor handed down his ruling just as students were preparing for their first day of class. I suppose this means Joe Bob and Bubba can’t decide to “feel female” for 15 minutes and change clothes in the girl’s locker room during this first week of classes. Of course that was never going to happen! This law, edict, executive order, was only going to provide for transgendered individuals the right to use whatever facilities they deemed appropriate for themselves. No red blooded American male would ever use such a loophole for voyeurism of any kind. No young man would be tempted to such sin! (sarcasm off)
It shouldn’t surprise us to see the pop scene so confused when it comes to ethics. Paul plainly told us there is a progression to depravity and eventually it leads to a place where right is thought of as wrong and wrong thought of as right. Few could argue that this is exactly where we find American pop culture in 2016. Acknowledgement of such doesn’t require much theological education. So what now?
Christians often identify problems and quickly move to ridicule and judgment of those who have them. So often we are like the Pharisee who beat his chest in self righteousness while thanking God he isn’t one of the low life sinners he sees all around him. We moan, groan and gossip about what is wrong with Jenny, Susy, Bobby and Pat while failing to do anything to love and help them. Perhaps there has never been a time we have been more guilty of such than when addressing the transgender issue.
MORE THAN AN “ISSUE”
Transgendered people really are more than an issue aren’t they? Those who identify themselves as transgendered are human beings with feelings, needs and sincere confusion. They need love, compassion, prayer and the Gospel of Christ. They need Christians to bless and care for them not ridicule and mock them. They need believers who will nurture and walk a painful journey with them not throw stones and insult them.
This doesn’t mean we agree with their choices or allow a man dressed up as a woman to use the restroom with our mothers, daughters and wives. But, we can be compassionate and serve those for whom Christ died. We can love them by refraining from verbal attacks, gossip, jokes and ridicule. We can invite them to worship and share Jesus with them in hopes they will experience the life changing Gospel just like we did. We too were dead in sin before being baptized in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ!
WAYS TO LOVE TRANSGENDERED PEOPLE:
- Treat them With Respect — They deserve the same respect given any other person. They are not a freak or a monster. They are a person in need of the same love, compassion and acceptance as you.
- Invite them to lunch — Be a friend to everyone. Jesus was a friend to each and every person he met. He loves all of us. Invite the transgendered person into your life and be his or her friend.
- Invite them to church with you — Bring them into the life of worship and pray they will feel the power of Christ.
- Share Jesus — All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We all need Jesus and we should never assume anyone is beyond the grace of God.
- Pray — Pray for your transgendered friend to have peace in their own skin. A transgendered person is confused about his or her gender identity and in need of healing. You don’t have to tell your friend you are praying he will accept his birth gender but it is a loving act to do so!
OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY ENJOY: