You are a body, soul and spirit. In light of this you need to understand that real “life change” must cover all three of these areas if it is to be lasting and effective. You cannot become a new person without addressing your whole person! So if you are one of the millions searching for a new and improved life, take a look at our 10 steps to a holistic life change which promise to move you closer to real life transformation.
1. Pray — No matter how good your prayer life has been up to this point change it for the better. If you haven’t been a person of prayer then begin doing so. If prayer has been a regular part of your life begin adding additional times of prayer, make your time in prayer longer or consider praying in new ways; remember prayer can involve worship, intercession, petition, confession and thanksgiving. If one of these types of prayer has been absent from your prayer life then make it a significant part of your life.
2. Live By Faith — What one thing in your life can you point to and say, “Here is where I am having faith in God and if He doesn’t come through I’m a mess?” If you cannot readily answer that question then take time to seek Him for where He intends you begin walking by faith.
3. Stop the Gluttony — What about the second and third helping you ate last night? What about the endless bowl of chips at the Mexican restaurant that precedes enough enchiladas, rice and beans for any two people? If you are overweight and out of shape it is in no small part due to the fact you sin regularly by putting too much food in your mouth. Stop it!
4. Exercise — What kind of steward are you of your own body? If you can’t run around the block without fear of passing out then you are not a good manager of your health! Take time to walk, job, ride a bike, lift weights, SOMETHING to care for your health!
5. Read — What are you doing to improve your mind and learn something new? Most folks are so busy with family, work and other obligations that they seldom if ever seek to improve themselves intellectually. God gave us a mind and He intends that we continually use and improve it. One chapter, ten pages or even five pages a day will do wonders for your mind. Just do it!
6. Journal — Take a moment to write down three sentences and record the biggest event, emotion or activity of your day. You will be amazed at how this simple exercise can give you new perspective, insight and bigger faith.
7. Listen to New Music — Statistics say that most people stop listening to new music sometime in their 30’s. This is a tragedy! Expand your Pandora stations and include a new artist or two. Allow for the possibility that there has been a new artist or two who might compete with the musical ability of those long adored bands of the past.
8. Go to Church — It is not enough to listen to a sermon on your iPhone, iPod or television set. You can be a Christian and not attend worship but you will never be a spiritually healthy one. Take the plunge and find a church to set down roots. Find folks of faith who will encourage and hold you accountable. We all need encouragement, love and someone speaking truth into our lives. We are called to know and love God in community. We cannot choose spiritual hermitage and expect healthy spiritual growth.
9. Kiss your Spouse — Every day and often. If you have grown so friendly with one another that you have forgotten or lost the physical and emotional romance of “one flesh” then commit yourself to changing the dynamic. Hand holding, kissing and long hugs help build intimacy and a healthier relationship.
10. Get Some Sleep — One of the ways we shortchange ourselves is in the area of sleep and we pay for such oversight. Sleep deprivation affects us mentally and can make us emotionally on edge. Get yourself in bed at such a time that you might enjoy eight hours of shut eye or pay the price!
Total life transformation begins with just one new step in a new direction. Address your whole person and begin the journey toward real, comprehensive and total life change…today!
More Prayer Resources: